[themes] shortcut for phptemplate variable printouts

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Wed Jun 28 11:36:07 UTC 2006

On 25 Jun 2006, at 1:39 AM, Max Bell wrote:

> Granted, this could probably be accomplished by pouring over the
> code by
> hand and looking for such instances, and people might blow it off
> like they
> do thumbnails for themes.
actually. i have been meaning to bring this up.

the split templates code.

we have split all templates into individual files, and added a
_widgets hook (ties into cck's use of 'widgets', and how forms api
does it's elements).
Basically, so far we've only got it to a point where it's 10% slower
than current core, but it's a lot clearer to themers than the current
system.

Basically, anything that can be overridden, is just a file you copy
from the one directory, into another. (it also allows for a proper
theme editor to be written.).

The _widgets hook is actually the mechanism you use to expose the
theme functions, and we want to turn it into a point where you
provide specific argument types
(ie: node, node-title, etc), so that we can create a standard set of
lipsum, to help generate a single page 'contains all markup' html
page for styling. among other things.

What I need though , is other people to help test / profile / speed
up the code. I have serious time issues for the month of july, and we
really are almost there.
I'd be available to walk people through the code and get everyone up
to speed during this week. Anyone interested in helping getting the
theme system more usable,
please let me know.

--
Adrian Rossouw