[themes] Re: [development] someone make a theme out of these templates

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu Mar 9 08:58:20 UTC 2006

Op woensdag 8 maart 2006 22:42, schreef Adrian Simmons:
> > What I would like to see us do, is remove all html from module files and
> > move them into tpl.php files.
>
> Fantastic idea. I'm all for it. But on behalf of people using other
> template engines, will it work with anything but phptemplate?

I really do not like the idea of having all those files araound. I foresee a
(CVS (and no please do not shout BZRSVNETC)) maintainance hell. A hel that
will wipe all beneifits of this approach from the map.

1) they need to be called on every page anyway, so no memory benfit (like
locale.module).
2) they are highly inter-related. If you change something in file A you need
to do so in B C and D. with CVS, or without CVS a hel to maintain, let alone
to understand, when learning an existing module.
3) All HTML that lives in modules is wrong there anyway. We need more HTML
generation API's, true. But already we can assume that ANY HTML tag in ANY
module is in fact a minor bug.

I would rather call for a frenzy to actually remove ALL the HTML from any
(contrib) module. IMO, the only part that is allowed to contain HTML is the
theme layer, and the theme.inc.

Bèr
--
 [ Bèr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]