[themes] accessibility of drupal sites

Mark Hope mark at markhope.net
Wed Oct 18 08:15:46 UTC 2006

I've posted several times on this issue and asked about it on IRC but
it doesn't seem to get much response.

Discussion on drupal.org (or maybe lack of discussion)

Creating a text only site:
http://drupal.org/node/86058

Easy theme switching:
http://drupal.org/node/86751

> 1. for visually impaired users, I want them to be able to change the
> font size / color / contrast on the fly. one site that does this
> beautifully, but it's not drupal powered is our strategic partner's
> website at: www.yourdolphin.com

This can be done by switching the theme, and allowing anonymous/not
logged in user to switch themes. Your partner site hides images with
CSS and applies a few other simple rules.

img, .basket_title
{
	visibility: hidden;
	width: 0px;
	height: 0px;
}
.hidden_image {
	display:none;
	height:0;
	width:0;
}

I've not implemented this with Drupal yet but the principal is
discussed in the above posts.

> 2. provide keyboard users the possibility of reaching some parts of
> the website using accesskeys. I know that this method isn't preferred
> from what I read about it, but may be the listers can share their
> views about this point. I am blind myself, and never need to use
> accesskeys as my screen reader has built in commands to reach to
> various elements on most websites. actually, most modern screen
> readers have this possibility.

I assume this could be done by patching the menu system, to add an
"access key field", allowing admins to manually assign keys. I don't
have enough knowledge to do this though. Alternatively create a new
block and insert some static code for an additional menu. I'm working
on this at the moment, creating a "helper links" block which outputs as
the first item of html. It contains a link to an accessibility page
with a list of access keys, the link to "text only" site (implementing
the easy theme switching) links to contact, and a skip navigation link.

> I am thinking that structuring the website's documents well will often
> be most handy. like using different heading sizes, and using bulleted
> and numbered lists.

Your website can be structured however you want, by customising an
existing theme or creating a new one. The primary links can be changed
to output lists - many themes already do. Likewise with the use of
heading tags.

Mark