[themes] themes Digest, Vol 50, Issue 13

Darren Douglas Lee darrendouglas.lee at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 22:27:32 UTC 2011

Micheal,

I've found that often those new to theming in Drupal struggle with volumn of
classes and IDs present in many of the Drupal themes. Please note that like
all things Drupal this can be modified to your liking. If you're willing to
dig deep enough and do the necessary overrides (hooks/preprocess) then the
theme output can be tailored, including the removal of many of the element
classes and IDs.

For your reference,

<li class="menu-114"> is generated by the core menu module. The "114" is the
ID number of the menu entry specific to this tag. You can get this info by
looking at the number in the URL of the edit form for the specific menu
entry. You will not find CSS entries to this item by default but is included
in the markup so that you can add css entries specific to the menu item if
desired.

Consider calling theme('links__mylinks', ...); in your tpl file.

Then in your template php you can have your override function called

theme_links__mylinks($vars)
if there is no mytheme_links__mylinks function in your theme, it will
fallback to mytheme_links, or default theme_links

Do a THEME_preprocess_HOOK($vars) function

function mytheme_preprocess_links__mylinks(&$vars) {
  print_r($vars);exit;
}

This should get you started in gaining control over the markup output for
the menu entries.

As for links.css?lgkgm7, is your question about the "?lgkgm7"? If so I
suspect that it's simply a random value added to the end of the path to the
links.css file to prevent caching of the file.

Of course this is all just one persons perspective on your questions. Other
might provide better or different input.

D.