[themes] D7 adding a themed item to a region

Jeff Greenberg listmail.ayendesigns at gmail.com
Mon May 28 14:46:35 UTC 2012

I am displaying a large image in a front-page region. Currently I hook
process_region in template.php, set a variable = theme('image'), and print
it.

I'm thinking that rather than printing it from the hook, I'd rather add it
to $page[my_region_name] and let it get printed when the template prints
render[my_region_name].

Where do I add it, or what do I call to add it?  I tried doing things in
the hook like $vars[page][my_region_name][content][] = $my_themed_image,
but that doesn't work.