[translations] Introduction

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Fri Dec 2 19:52:55 UTC 2005

Fehér János wrote:
> 2005-12-01, cs keltezéssel 20.23-kor Katrin Silvius ezt írta:
>
>>How would you translate taxonomy if there is no such word in the
>>language nor anything close to it?
>
> In Hungarian this word is adopted as taxonómia (from greek?), but
> we usually translate it as "category".

Not exactly. We translate category to its corresponding "kategória"
pair, and taxonomy to "taxonómia". This last word is known in library
and academic circles, yet much unknown in the public field. It is not a
problem if our users need to learn a bit before they can fully use the
system IMHO (do not go into this question, it could be a heated thread,
but we would like to focus on real work done :)

Goba