[translations] Automatic .pot generation

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Tue Dec 13 20:48:45 UTC 2005

Konstantin Käfer wrote:
> but updating the POT files every day will probably cause lots of CVS
> traffic. Additionally, I don't think it's a good idea to let
> translators translate strings that are not (yet) stable.

Anything that is on a CVS branch of a module, theme, etc (either HEAD or
DRUPAL-4-6 or DRUPAL-4-7, or ...) is packaged for download regularly. So
users downloading tarballs from any of these branches will use unstable
code if you have unstable code in the branch downloaded. Having
translators get unstable strings is a minor problem compared to this
IMHO. The rule is to have stable code on stable branches (anything but
HEAD).

BTW if the PO files are not comitted to the repository, but only
packaged to the download, then the CVS commits will not be a problem,
but then storing previously generated files might help a lot, since not
many files change a day (at least compared to the lots of modules now in
contrib). This way one would only be able to get the PO files from the
tarballs, which might be a problem for CVS attached users (like me :).

Goba