[translations] collectigng i18n use cases, and systems to learn from

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Thu Oct 5 22:00:03 UTC 2006

Hello World,

It is now official that I am going to attempt to write my diploma about Drupal
Internationalization. I have confirmation from my university and my consultant
there that I will work on Drupal i18n as my DIY project in this semester (10-17
weeks) and then the semester coming after that, preparing my diploma. To make
this diploma worthy, I need to do this *right* (and I also need to be somewhat
self-focused, so that I can show that *I* have done significant work in the
project, not just showing off with what the community produced). That said, I
plan to go through

1.) deep evaluation of how some of the other systems do i18n,
2.) collecting use cases in which Drupal i18n could be used, and abstracting
some common stuff out of these
3.) look into how the relevant parts of Drupal are built up (dirty details of
parts possibly affected by i18n, without care about how an actual
implementation would affect them)
4.) study of previous Drupal i18n efforts, including all modules providing such
functionality and previous approaches of them
5.) higher level suggestions about possible implementation strategies
6.) once there is consensus, coordinate implementation of the actual approach

Once again, note that since I aim at this being my diploma topic, I need to do
it according to the "school book" (which should help the Drupal i18n project be
as throuroughly thought out and discussed as possible, but would take more time
to get to the actual implementation). Also my need to produce results *myself*
does not mean I should not work closely with the community. The above plan has
several connections to the community, starting from collecting a list of i18n
capable systems to study to getting use cases and discussing implementation
strategies. I itend to do this 'in the open', so everyone can see what is going
on, and can benefit from the progress.

I am also not starting this with a disconnect to existing work done (namely
Jose and others contributing to the i18n.module), but since there were a lot of
debate around the approach taken there, I would like to take a step back, and
provide a solid base for the soon to be core code with actual use cases and
existing system comparisions. It could turn out that the current i18n
implementation stands still, or it could result in a better implementation.
Time will tell.

I will have weekly meetings with my consultant at the university, who demands
that I show up with some work done, so I'd better start and do what I can :)
What you can do to help bring this forward first is to join the i18n group at
groups.drupal.org and second to take part in any of the two community feedback
requests I have put up.

I would like to start with collecting your input in two areas. First if you
know of a system which is possible to set up 'at home' (ie. on a usual Windows
or Linux server) and you already know of its good i18n capabilities (mostly
content translation related features), please tell us about it. Second if you
have some use case you already tried to use Drupal i18n in (or any other
software with i18n capabilities for that matter), you could provide a use case.

  Suggest a system:   http://groups.drupal.org/node/1544
  Provide a use case: http://groups.drupal.org/node/1545
  What's i18n?        http://groups.drupal.org/node/1543
  The i18n group:     http://groups.drupal.org/i18n

I think it is better to comment on these nodes or add new nodes there in case
of use case collection, but if you have anything pressing you need to
ask/discuss/say here, just do so.

Gabor