[translations] A couple of untranslated strings in 5.x core

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sat Aug 4 13:40:32 UTC 2007

Cog Rusty wrote:
> I agree that it is not only hard but also ugly for translations to
> have those strings split and constant, because it would not allow
> using correct grammar.
>
> An easy solutions which would work for imported types, at least for
> the permissions page is this: Whenever a type is inserted in the
> database it could be always accompanied by a dummy function containing
> t() strings, such as:
>
> system.install:
> --------------------
> function story_strings() {
> t('create story content');
> t('edit story content');
> t('edit own story content');
> return 0;
> }
>
> These strings seem to work if they get into the po file. Not sure how,
> probably it has to do with the $perms[] = 'edit own '. $name
> .'content'; line in node.module.

These kinds of special treatments are already in place for core stuff,
but contributions are not covered for sure.

> So, potx would catch them, and as soon they are in the translation
> they seem to work. Perhaps this could be further standardized.
>
> For the user-defined types, the problem of the untranslated
> surrounding text of the permissions remains unsolved, so this is not a
> thorough solution. And a solution will be needed when the rest of the
> core node types move out of the code as well.
>
> An idea for this is an additional tab in language setup which would
> contain node type names and their related strings. This would probably
> need some standardization of the language information of a node type.

Lots of user defined stuff is still not translatable in Drupal 6 (menus,
taxonomy, node types, aggregator stuff, profile fields and so on). These
include the user defined content type permission names (altough
admittedly we did not think about this as a serious case, it has its own
place). These could have solutions in Drupal 7 soonest. In the meantime,
contributed modules need to solve these problems.

Gabor