[translations] Translating module names?

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 02:21:13 UTC 2007

On 6/19/07, Derek Wright <drupal at dwwright.net> wrote:
> http://drupal.org/node/152375
>
> Huh?  I thought you weren't supposed to put dynamic strings in t().
>
> What's the party line on translating module names that appear in the
> interface?  D5 core doesn't do this on the modules page, it seems...
> it just reads whatever is in the .info files and displays that.

I don't know whether there is a party line but it doesn't make sense
to translate the module names which appear in the
"/admin/build/modules" page. That page is supposed to be used by the
site administrator for finding and enabling modules. The names must be
unambiguous.

This becomes even worse if a translation of some insignificant module
overwrites such a translated string.

On the other hand, sometimes a string same as a module's name appears
in a menu, which  we would like to translate. The current absence of a
t() in the module names which appear in "/admin/build/modules" is a
good thing because it allows us to translate a module name everywhere
else if we want to.