[translations] Copyright?

Mori Sugimoto infosource at diasporan.net
Wed Jun 17 19:38:54 UTC 2009

Hi,

Sorry this may be an FAQ, but I couldn't find any answers to this:
I'm wondering if we are allowed to claim copyright to translations (and
.po files) of any strings in Drupal and its core / contrib modules.
I noticed many .po files come with a copyright notice at the top of the
files, but since Drupal is licensed under GPL, my understanding is that
.po files are derivatives and thus they cannot be copyrighted.

I couldn't find a specific answer for Drupal translation files, but did
find some sources that my argument is correct (at least in the States)
so I'm assuming that is the case:

www.linuxjournal.com/article/6366
"A “derivative work” is a work based upon one or more pre-existing
works, such as a translation . . . A work consisting of editorial
revisions, annotations, elaborations or other modifications which, as a
whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License
"The GPL is clear in requiring that all derivative works of code under
the GPL must themselves be under the GPL."

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Kind regards,

Mori