[translations] two issues to help out for translation support

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Tue Dec 28 17:07:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

Looks like there are two important issues to help out with to improve
translation support in Drupal 7:

1. Drupal should not require .po file rename in installation - which
tries to solve this problem that many people experienced that Drupal
now requires .po files downloaded to be renamed to use for
installation. Confusing for many people. Has a nice patch:
http://drupal.org/node/994500#comment-3874206 Please review, test and
dissect :)

2. Drupal cannot be installed in a non-predefined language - can be
easily reproduced due to the above bug, but even if that resolved can
still be an issue (although much more minor). I think this will need a
bit more discussion, but the patch presented is IMHO not a good
direction as of now: http://drupal.org/node/1007488#comment-3874184

Given the imminent release of Drupal 7, we should really get together
and get these resolved if we'd like to see an easy to install
localized Drupal 7 out of the box :)

Thanks,
Gábor