[translations] Localization update module

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Wed Dec 29 09:44:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 3:04 AM, Luc <Luc at dzinelabs.com> wrote:
> Good evening list,
>
> I'm trying to get a multinational site up but the admin part needs
> only English. I'm reading up on the documentation but i have a few
> questions, so i hope a kind soul can enlighten me:
>
> 1) localization update module: is that only needed when you need the
> admin part also translated?

The translation of the admin part and the front end of Drupal are not
separated. Drupal by its nature handles translation on a text by text
basis. If the text "Save" needs translation, regardless of where it
shows up, it will be displayed translated, if a translation is
available in the given language. Admin or front end alike. The
localization update module downloads and manages translations from
localize.drupal.org, and keeps track of your own modifications.

> 2) for translating the content, i need to use the the Content
> Translation module?

That is the most used possibility, yes.

> 3) what about buttons and such?

Text form buttons use the same text translation features, they are not
at all special.

Gábor