[consulting] managing many sites

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Tue Dec 13 22:12:16 UTC 2005

As a consultant who tries to support many people, the question
is how do you do that support. So this is trying to be
a consulting question....

How do you manage many sites with many different clients.

Dan Robinson <dan at drob.org> writes:

 % Just a quick reality check - why is this conversation happening here?
 % Isn't this a support or dev issue?
 %
 % Dan
 %
 %
 % >I have installed over a dozen websites with drupal, from
 % >4.4 to 4.6.3.
 % >
 % >But this can run into a lot of work to do maintenance and updating
 % >when different modules are used and different configurations are used.
 % >
 % >I am contemplating updating all of these to 4.7 when I get the chance....
 % >But.... when I do that, some of the modules will break. And some
 % >of the modules are not supported. And the features used by members will
 % >break.
 % >
 % >So it is seems that it is not a simple process to keep a drupal site
 % >up to date.
 % >
 % >What are your strategies for keeping many different sites on many different
 % >hosting situations up to date and running cleanly with the smallest amount
 % >of time involved in that maintenance?
 % >
 % >
 % >
 % >
 % >--
 % >John Sechrest          .         Helping people use
 % >                        .           computers and the Internet
 % >                          .            more effectively
 % >                            .
 % >                               .       Internet: sechrest at peak.org
 % >                                    .
 % >                                            . http://www.peak.org/~sechrest
 % >
 % >consulting mailing list
 % >consulting at drupal.org