[consulting] managing many sites

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Wed Dec 14 01:10:21 UTC 2005

On 12/13/05 5:37 PM, John Sechrest wrote:
> =?utf-8?q?B=C3=A8r_Kessels?= <ber at webschuur.com> writes:
>
>  % Op dinsdag 13 december 2005 23:12, schreef John Sechrest:
>  % > How do you manage many sites with many different clients.
>  % This is a really short question with a waaay too long answer. The short a=
>  % nswer
>  % is: multisite hosting with provisioning systems, revision control, librar=
>  % ies
>  % of modules and themes etc.
>

>  Unfortunatly, that is not the world that I end up consulting in.
>  I don't have control of the location of the client website in
>  most cases.

perhaps time to rethink your business model? ;) personally, I am much
more efficient and comfortable when I have some control or influence on
the operating environment (ask Boris). However, in the cases when you
can't (and I have been there before), I'd handle it by basically
re-creating my ideal environment and staging all changes there... then,
updates were simply rsync/ftp/etc to live.

>  But following it a bit further, I know that Bryght has a
>  "bryght blessed" list of modules. Does it make sense to have
>  a common set of modules on all sites?

No. even though we have "supported" modules (and this list is under
pretty constant review), lots of bryght sites have other modules
installed on a custom basis.

With a system as flexible as Drupal - it's tough to say "this set" of
modules will serve all sites...

That said - here's a goal for this list: a great service that "drupal
professionals" could both get behind and benefit from would be some sort
of certification system / rating / etc for modules so there was some
clue or indication what in the great big sea of contrib actually
*works*. (besides just avoiding stuff with my name on it)

>  I am starting to see that some modules make my site slower, even
>  when I don't have them turned on.

now that's an interesting claim. can you elaborate?
James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net