[consulting] Modules ratings (was: managing many...)

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Wed Dec 14 18:32:38 UTC 2005

> On 12/13/05, *Dan Robinson* <dan at civicactions.com
> <mailto:dan at civicactions.com>> wrote:
>

>     Folks,
>
>     I'm glad I kept reading through all that kruft ( :) sorry - but I
>     really
>     don't think that conversation should have happened here - if I
>     were the
>     list manager.... :) ).
>

> Theoretically, John Sechrest and I are list moms of some kind...but
> really, it's going to take a little while to see what kind of
> conversation happens here. I'm OK with a wide range of conversations
> for now...obvious support goes to support, but pretty much anything
> that falls under the rubric of best practices and/or "what is your
> approach?" is fair game right now.

well - not to beat a dead horse - but - I "get" the tension between
coming down too hard and maintaining some consistency.  I would argue
that you can do it gently - but that it is important to do it in the
beginning.  I would ask some basic questions starting with "would others
directly benefit from this conversation", "would this be where someone
new in the community expects to find the conversation" and "if you have
10 lists which is the best for it to be on".  There is a HUGE amount of
information coming at me from the Drupal firehose and I'm trying to keep
up.  That thread was about specific techniques for maintaining multiple
instances of Drupal - yes it is something that a lot of consultants face
- but it is a core technical issue (imho).  I'll let it go now.

>     This is a *really big deal* imho.  I think the
>     sooner this could happen the better (I think I heard that Boris is
>     working on it).
>

> Nice toss :P We discussed this in Amsterdam, and various "Ranking for
> modules", ranging from direct gathered information (aka drupal.module
> phone home to report enabled modules) to "let users rate". I owe some
> notes from meetings, and then we need to as a community commit some
> development time. I said that a "user rate" is something that I was
> more interested in supporting rather than phone home.

There allready is a node ranking module right - what is the holdup?

>     My personal opinion is:
>
>     1) Just have a simple "overall" rating - 1-5 scale.  I think the
>     idea of
>     drilling down to a more granular level of "stability,
>     usability..." etc
>     is interesting - but really not necessary (given my suggestion #2).
>

> I believe this will be one of the approaches.

good - simple is good.

>     2) Allow for comments - just allow people to riff.  Everything
>     will come
>     out in the wash.  People will see the modules with higher ratings and
>     they will read the comments.  Each of us can add what we
>     like/don't like
>     about the module in the comments.  This would cut HOURS out of
>     making a
>     decision to use or not use a particular module.
>

> Make a book page and/or comment on the documentation/uses
> there....comments will be like forum threads, and ultimately it will
> take HOURS reading comments to decide what to use, especially with low
> levels of knowledge participating.

I disagree. Esp. if you adopt the Peer Panel. - I think after you get a
couple people commenting on the module it will all be said.  I would
much rather read about it than spend time installing and finding it out
for myself.  By spreading the comments out to the documentation you are
just spreading knowledge around like salt.  I should be able to go to a
particular subject area (like Module X) and find *all* related content
quickly and easily (as well as subscribe to it). It is a "content
management solution" after all :).

> We now have close to a 1:1 relationship between modules and
> documentation. Now, we just need the next step of linking project
> module to the documentation section (I think there are existing fields
> that could be used for this).
>

>     3) For extra credit - create a "Drupal Peer Panel" - make it
>     really big
>     and really simple.  You get to be on the "Drupal Peer Panel" if
>     you are
>     recommended and seconded by current Peers (the first members can be
>     chosen by our fearless leader).  Only Peers can rate and
>     comment.  This
>     group should grow to a couple of hundred people quickly.  For the most
>     part this panel will be people that the community recognizes as
>     someone
>     who actually knows a little about the product, not someone "fresh off
>     the street".  (If you don't like this part of the proposal just do
>     1 and
>     2 above).
>

>  I like the concept, but I think certified modules make more sense.

by whom?  How?  When?   I like the certified idea as well - maybe better
than Peer Panel - but when?

>     Can we do this?  Pretty please....  I think this would be a huge
>     benefit
>     to the community.
>

> Sure...all it needs is code (seriously). The VotingAPI is looking
> nicely baked now, so that's doable. The phone home needs work, and the
> Peer Panel needs lots of work.

Errr... What needs to be done?  Where is this being managed?  How do I
find out the discreet steps that take us from planning and thinking to
action?  What is the process?  Don't get me wrong - I just think this is
really important - and I think it is easy (tm).

Dan