[consulting] drupal consulting and agreements

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Sun Dec 18 18:13:14 UTC 2005

Work for hire, in US law, means that you are paid to do someone else's
work. The person hiring you owns all you create. If you invent the
greatest new thing ever, the person hiring you owns the result and
makes the billions. That's an extreme example, but hopefully illustrates.

As a consultant or independent contractor, you are a separate entity.
You own your own ideas, and are contracted on a limited basis.

Also there are tax implications. If it's a work for hire, odds are that
the IRS will want payroll taxes withheld from your fees -- i.e., that
you be paid as an employee instead of a contractor.

Does that make sense?

Laura