[consulting] the Ultimate forum based Malinglist Manager

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Dec 30 13:30:27 UTC 2005

Op vrijdag 30 december 2005 06:43, schreef Jason Flatt:
> You're asking us to sign up to using a specific set of softwares just to
> get the ease of a script or module to do the setup for us?  Personally, I
> would rather invest time into learning how to do it with the software I
> want to use and am familiar with, than to have to install and learn some
> other software, especially with something like an MTA or MLM

I love Debian. becaus it puts stuff in default locations, because I know where
to find stuff, because it has certain defaults.
Yet Debian is often quoted as being one of the best to adapt to your needs.

Having a single, working solution, a combination of an MTA, a default
mailsetting (ie where will the listhandler at myserver.com deliver its mail,
hows that spamchecked, how is that ported to the MLH etcetc) a few modules
and some nice docs.

That should, IMO be a working solution.
Yet, obviously nothing holds you from opening up the code and hack it to your
needs. Especially because you knos the defaults work, and how they work
(docs) its a much easier job then writing Yet Another ML2forum script plus
some exotic listhandler settings.

At this moment we have all the freedom, yet nothing that just works. We have
nothing that can be deployed without serious hacking. We have nothing that
Joe Schmoe can send to his provider asking "could you please configure
mailman this and that way and add this and that mailbox there and there,
please"

That is my plan. The plan is not to stop you from rolling out your own
solutions, but to lay a good foundation for one of the most FAedQs.

Ber