[consulting] the Ultimate forum based Malinglist Manager

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Fri Dec 30 16:38:54 UTC 2005

> Remember: ANYTHING is possible...

yes, agreed.  I'm not saying that you can't *abstract* out functionality
and make something that is usefull in a variety of situations.  However
in my opinion this space is particularly squirrley and doesn't lend
itself to easy answers.

>   i am thinking that giving organic groups a helper module or feature
> like massmailer for mailinglists which allows for different "engines"
> so that there can be a helper module which connects to mailman,
> another for ezmlm, sympa or whatever..

Right - but you might want to start enumerating what that helper module
needs to be responsible for - the list is quite large.  It is my
understanding that this is the path that Gerhard/CSL is pursuing,
however I don't believe they are planning to deliver end-to-end
functionality in the near term - although it is hard to say since they
haven't been very forthcoming with their plans.

>  there would also as the default be a basic mailing list built in..
> to drupal.. yes.. that is alot of coding but that didnt stop them at
> groupserver.org...

I have taken a quick look at groupserver.  It would be very helpful if
someone itemized all the features so we had a good model to look at.
I've been working from from the Yahoo Grouips functionality.

>  there has to be a way to have a php based mailing list that will run
> in a jailshelled shared hosting account... phplist is halfway there...

isn't phplist entirely there?

>  moodle has it by default ???? is that true?(hard to read their site)

not familiar.

>  this way, the yahoo group style functionality of subscribe,
> unsubscribe, digest.. list only, public/private is handled all within
> organic groups... the helper module does the mailing list integration,
> creation, deletion, syncing...
>  I think mailhandler and listhandler can be put to use.. they just
> need to be automated within og...
>
> it CAN be done!

yes - like I agree - however imho it isn't going to get done this way
anytime soon.