[consulting] the Ultimate forum based Malinglist Manager

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Fri Dec 30 20:40:09 UTC 2005

On 30-Dec-05, at 10:53 AM, Allie Micka wrote:

> For what it's worth, the solution proposed, and the one I think
> we're planning to build at CivicActions is NOT MLM-specific.  The
> approach is to break out the functionality so that you can use any
> MLM, but build to ezmlm first (because that's what I already know)

Gerhard has moved this discussion over to the development list, which
is where this discussion veered off to.

A useful exercise here, I think, is talking about the requirements/
user scenarios that would make use of various forum/list functions.
As I stated before, the main usage demand we're seeing at this point
is newsletter functionality, which is met nicely by simplenews -- a
few hundred people signed up (maybe 500? not sure what the upper
limit is....call it less than 1000 for simplicity) and monthly mailouts.

If you look at the Yahoo Groups model, there are many, many small
lists (< 50 people). A "pure" Drupal/PHP solution would probably fit
this very nicely...call it simplelist. IMHO, even things like
automated bounce handling are optional for that level.

Allie and others have talked about the need for high end scalability.
I guess that looks like 1000+ users? I imagine there are many
challenges with lists that size.

Can others talk about real user scenarios/needs?

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595