[consulting] Drupal considerd dangerous

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Dec 21 18:22:10 UTC 2006

Bill Fitzgerald wrote:
> To me, this post did a great job stating the obvious: Drupal isn't for everyone. It's a great tool/CMS/development platform/widget de jour -- while it can do a lot, it's not always the best choice, or, for some organizations, a logical choice.

While I agree with your assessment, I would hardly consider that
"stating the obvious" -- it's certainly not obvious to newcomers, the
very kind of HTML-phobic would-be Web publishers Drupal is trying to
appeal to.

Look no further than http://drupal.org/handbook/is-drupal-right-for-you
which provides the official and definitive answer to "is Drupal right
for you?"

There are no qualifications or "it's not always the best choice" type
honest comments anywhere to be found.
Small businesses are explicitly mentioned as a target group for whom
Drupal is the right answer.
In fact, the page offers no realistic appraisal of what Drupal doesn't
do well, which is also what people coming to such a page are looking for.

As a consequence, people will inevitably be disappointed. The problem
with laying down such exuberant hype is the difficulty to live up to it.

No amount of wishful thinking here will enable a non-IT-savvy
small-business owner to maintain their own Drupal site of any
sophistication. Suggesting that this is possible, as the above webpage
does, goes beyond mere hype into the realm of severe pseudo-marketing
excess.

It's easy to offer up case studies of successes. It's far more
difficult, and far less sexy -- yet likely far more productive -- to
engage in some forensic study of the failures.

Drupal's being seen as a failure because it was expected to do something
it couldn't do is a communications problem. And Drupal, despite its
massive amounts of documentation, its endless discussions about
brochures and its very reason for existence, still suffers badly in the
realm of communications. IMO, the Drupal community has yet to grasp the
fact that "what you want to say" is not the same as "what your audience
wants to hear", and a large gap exists between those two in this world.

> However, if a start-up goes south, there are probably a lot of factors at play beyond the issue of a cms.

Very true. But if Drupal -- because it failed expectations and/or became
a completely unexpected resource suck -- was a contributing factor, that
is extremely important information to know moving forward.

- Evan