[consulting] Drupal considerd dangerous

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Dec 24 19:19:36 UTC 2006

On Thursday 21 December 2006 12:22 pm, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> No amount of wishful thinking here will enable a non-IT-savvy
> small-business owner to maintain their own Drupal site of any
> sophistication.

There is nothing Drupal-specific about that situation.  The more accurate
statement is "no amount of wishful thinking will enable a non-IT-savvy
small-business owner to maintain their own web site of any sophistication".

The more sophisticated your web site, the more technical knowledge you need to
know how to build and maintain it.  It doesn't matter what your underlying
software is; the curve is still increasing.

IME, Drupal helps with the "80/20" rule: You can get 80% of what you want with
Drupal with only 20% of the effort.  That doesn't require a huge amount of
technical knowledge, either, just some Drupal knowledge, which is a great
strength.

Getting that last 20%, however, requires knowing how to tie together a half
dozen contrib modules in non-obvious ways, writing sometimes non-obvious PHP
in your theme itself, discovering obscure features of Drupal that you didn't
know existed, and knowing when to break from the Drupal Way and just hack
something in lamely because that's how to make it work.  None of that is
obvious or intuitive.  When you hire or become a "real" Drupal consultant,
however, it's that sort of knowledge that you're paying for / acquiring.  And
anyone who tells you that you don't need a very strong grasp of PHP for that
is lying. :-)

If that other 20% is what you desperately need, then Drupal may not be the
best choice.  I'd lay money Joomla or Wordpress or Typo3 aren't either.  Your
best choice is very smart people who can make that 20% happen, and then let
them use the tools they most skilled with.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson