[consulting] Drupal considerd dangerous

Michael Haggerty mhaggerty at trellon.com
Tue Dec 26 21:02:45 UTC 2006

> With that said, we now have to admit our past weaknesses and market
> how our new strengths can over come, to ensure significant investment
> continues to be made in Drupal as a platform.

If 4.6 was a 'weak' release and businesses were not able to operate on it
effectively, please explain the Onion's Web site. Wasn't it built on Drupal
4.6, and isn't it in the top 1% sites on the Internet in terms of traffic?
If Drupal 4.6 was appropriate for the industrial strength needs of a high
traffic site, how come it was not appropriate for these startups? What were
these startups looking to do that exceeded the Onion's needs?

I understand the business issues that affect startups and am completely
sensitive to the needs of small organizations. But blaming a version release
and providing historical context from a core development standpoint doesn't
really answer anything. Why would some sites fail and others succeed? If a
choice of technology platform was directly responsible for a catastrophic
business event, wouldn't it impact all businesses, regardless if they are a
startup or not? Why would anyone still be using Drupal if it was
fundamentally flawed in such a way that it automatically lead to business
failure?

Startups rarely fail because of any single factor, and choice of technology
typically falls behind things like lack of management, unrealistic market
goals, inflated burn rate, lack of capitalization and hundreds of other
perfectly logical reasons. Making blanket statements that the platform was
flawed or overhyped really speaks poorly about the people making decisions
in these situations and does not give one confidence that other critical
business needs were being efficiently addressed.

Thank you,
Michael Haggerty
Managing Partner
Trellon, LLC