[consulting] Re: Costs of forking

Gunnar Langemark gunnar at langemark.com
Thu Feb 9 19:53:02 UTC 2006

Thank you John
That is a very good Open Source "Elevator Pitch" (see below)

Clients pay us because we know things they don't know. We don't have to
tell them everything - only what they need to know to make the right
decision for their business needs.
FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) is unfortunately a very real part of
pitching an IT based project. Some of the FUD - that some companies with
proprietary code like to spread - has to do with the not so well
understood concepts of Open Source.
It is important to talk to clients as much as possible about the issues
that will make their business better - and as little as possible about
the issues that they don't really care about - because they don't know
about them, and they pay you to know. So dealing with the concept of
Open Source issues fast and efficiently - is important, such that you
can start talking about how to "cure their pains", and "leverage their
business" by supporting "new and improved" business processes - with
Drupal software solutions.
You only have their attention for so long.

It's a simple task from the outset - but a hard days work to get there.

best
Gunnar