[consulting] A defense for new users

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Fri Feb 24 23:40:50 UTC 2006

Hello, all,

In all likelihood, the same interface won't satisfy all users. But, this
unlikely possibility should not be used as the reason to quash attempts
to improve the existing admin interface. Sure, it works for me, and I
have no problem with it. But, it doesn't work for others, and many
people won't adopt Drupal because of that. While no one has to care
about that, I do -- that's my itch, and I'm glad to work with others to
scratch it.

RE the tension between developers/consultants/end users, it definitely
exists, but I see these categories as pretty fluid. Whether people want
to admit it or not, we stand to gain more from working together. While
it won't be possible to include all perspectives in an eventual
solution, excluding viewpoints from the outset is not a good way to start.

Cheers,

Bill

Adrian Simmons wrote:
> Jeff Eaton wrote:
>> It might be overkill, but have you considered that there is ABSOLUTELY
>> no way to satisfy both groups with the same interface?
> I think that hits the nail on the head.
>
>> Drupal has a very fundamental tension that must be resolved.
> Very true that it's there, but I'm not sure it will every be resolved.
> Still recognizing it's existence is the first step to working with it
> or around it.

----
Bill Fitzgerald
http://www.funnymonkey.com