[development] Re: [consulting] Module to view/edit module weights

Harry Slaughter harry at slaughters.com
Wed Jul 5 23:03:48 UTC 2006

Barry Jaspan wrote:

>> There was criticism about weights in the past (I think it was Ber?).
>> However, I think the lack of an interface to manipulate the underlying
>> data
>> structure was the main objection to this.
>
> I think there are credible reasons to dislike the module weight system
> even with an interface for manipulating the weights; namely, it can get
> fairly complicated to maintain especially if modules attempt to change
> their weight  automatically.  I'm not convinced that the obvious
> alternative (an order dependency tree) will not have its own set of
> problems, however.
>
> To put it another way: I developed moduleweight simply because Drupal
> 4.7 uses module weights and I needed an interface to change them, not as
> an attempt to make them a more or less permanent feature.

I think it would be very risky to allow non-technical users access to
those settings. This weight functionality is extremely useful if you
know what you're doing and extremely dangerous if you don't.

Perhaps it could be integrated with devel.module which i don't think
non-technical users are going to be installing.

Harry Slaughter <-> harry at slaughters.com
Web Developer
http://devbee.com/
http://slaughters.com/