[consulting] CMS comparison

Nick Lewis nick at nicklewis.org
Tue May 9 19:59:03 UTC 2006

John Sechrest wrote:
> Today I saw the article about CMS War:
>
> http://www.torkiljohnsen.com/2006/05/09/cms-war/
>
> And it looks from the graph that drupal is doing well, but that
> Joomla is doing better.
>
> What are the features of Joomla that people are reacting to, which
> drupal does not have?
>

> What are the features of drupal that people don't know, but which
> if they did, would cause them to prefer drupal?

Its worth noting that a lot of CMS comparisons unfairly favor Joomla,
and other platforms because they don't take the library of 3rd party
modules and themes into account. Also, I wrote an article some time ago
about this, http://www.nicklewis.org/mambo-vs-drupal -- I think the
60-80 comments that have been posted in response are more interesting
than anything I said. Generally my point was:

Compare the first thing that a "shopper" sees when they visit the two
sites:

*Drupal: “Community Plumbing” *

Lead text: “Equipped with a powerful blend of features, Drupal can
support a variety of websites ranging from personal weblogs to large
community-driven websites.”

*Mambo: “Power in Simplicity” *

Lead text: “Mambo is one of the most powerful Open Source Content
Management Systems on the planet. It is used all over the world for
everything from simple websites to complex corporate applications. Mambo
is easy to install, simple to manage, and reliable.”

The truth is that Mambo is bulky, badly optimized for search engines,
and generally rigid and brittle to customized. Drupal, on the other
hand, is perhaps the most search engine friendly CMS on the market. Its
modular, flexible, its underlying design has been guided by a stellar
philosophy. But, I only know that because I work with the things.
Customers who do their shopping, on the other hand, have the word
“plumbing” as part of their first impression of drupal.

Drupal chose a word that evokes images of ass-cracks, human waste,
clogged toilets, bills from the plumber, and plungers."

:-/

Best,
Nick Lewis
http://www.nicklewis.org