[consulting] CMS comparison

Neil McEvoy neil.mcevoy at ondemand-network.com
Tue May 9 20:29:11 UTC 2006

> Drupal chose a word that evokes images of ass-cracks, human waste,
> clogged toilets, bills from the plumber, and plungers."

Sorry, this was the one that got me and created a motivation to join in! :-)

So, in conclusion, the roadblocks to Drupal world domination are:

i. The lack of a theme that is nice and shiny out the box. Plumbing is
essential but generally you put things like nice toilets around them.

ii. Pre-configured combinations; make it easier for folks to achieve the
business functions they want out the box. Not every one wants to assemble
a kit of parts, they just want the end result.

iii. Marketing: Try and avoid the idea you're offering waste processing
systems... ;-)

Growing its useage to a mass-market level means positioning and catering
for the mass market, meaning abstraction to an interface that is
appropriately suitable. Better looking, simpler to use etc.

This doesn't necessarily have to be via drupal.org, which caters for the
technical experts, but fundamentally it's what is missing, and where we
have been concentrating our efforts. Some kind of plan to co-ordinate it
at a larger level would seem like a good idea....

--
Neil McEvoy
http://bootstrap-network.com/Neil_McEvoy

--