[consulting] Joomla vs. Drupal

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed May 10 00:23:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 9, 2006 1:07 pm, David Geilhufe said:

> I think Joomla is better because it makes more sense "out of the box."
>
> All the work around install profiles, however, will give Drupal the same
> ability to shine "out of the box". As you guys know, CivicSpace works on
> some of these core issues like install profiles, which we hope will make
> it into 4.8. (Watch the demo of working install system code:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COg-orloxlY)
>
> Right now, to address the Joomla question, I think the priority has to be:
> (1) Get install system fully working and tested (as always, CivicSpace
> accepts investments :)  [http://www.civicspacelabs.com/node/11]
> (2) Build some high quality install profiles that will blow the doors
> off Joomla.

Just as important is the glitz.  Not just a prettier theme than
Bluemarine, but the actual useless glitz.  With Jooma/Mambo, as soon as
you install it you get a fancy pants Javascript Ajaxy admin section with
drop down menus that mimic Windows, client-side tabs, specular highlights,
trilinear filtering, and other fancy terms borrowed from graphics card
companies. :-)  With Drupal, you get a text menu.

Personally I found the text menu easier to use when playing with both on
opensourcecms.org, which is one reason I'm here in the first place, but I
am in a distinct minority.  Marketing-wise, we need to have a fancy-pants
admin UI with pointless and wasteful glitz, because that's what
non-developers like to see.  I'd go as far as to say it may need to be on
by default, at least in some distros, and can be turned off for Real
Admins(tm).  How's Dashboard coming? :-)

--Larry Garfield