[consulting] CMS comparison

Henri Poole poole at civicactions.com
Thu May 11 03:28:12 UTC 2006

I call it a community erector set.
  -Henri

Angela Byron <drupal-consulting at webchick.net> wrote:  Khalid B wrote:
>> ah, the perfect tag line  "Drupal  ---  the toolbox for your web site
>> development"  ;-)
>
> Perfect, except for the "toolbox" part.
>
> The mental image is of a what you have in the basement/garage with
> all sort of rusty tools...

Geez, Khalid! You should take better care of your tools! ;)

I tried to explain Drupal to my mom yesterday, and the best analogy I
could come up with was that Drupal is like Legos (or I guess "building
blocks" to use a non-copyrighted term ;)). Drupal developers are people
who work on building new types of blocks or enhancing existing ones to
meet their own or their clients' needs. Some are working on more
"all-purpose" blocks, like the trusty red square, and some are working
on more specialized blocks such as castle turrets and such.

Then other people take these blocks and build whatever they want with
them (houses, cars, robots...), without having to build the blocks
themselves. I guess that makes the docs team the folks who write the
little instruction books that come with the set, and consulting
companies are the folks who dig through the big communal bucket to find
the right blocks and assemble them together. ;)

I don't know if it's a particularly strong analogy, but I think it's the
first time she ever understood what it is I do all day. ;)

-Angie