[consulting] CMS comparison

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu May 11 10:34:10 UTC 2006

Op donderdag 11 mei 2006 04:36, schreef Angela Byron:
> I don't know if it's a particularly strong analogy, but I think it's the
> first time she ever understood what it is I do all day.

The biggest flaw in this analogy is that with Lego you have really full
freedom. Provided you have the creativity you can build everything (there are
working state-machines, driving live-size cars and even boats that can carry
humans).
Drupal might present itself as such, but is not.

Hence the comment above in this thread "...like what Unix did, drupal can
very well be the next generation web platform plumbing" is an absolute
pipe-dream that will most prolly never even get close to reality.

Drupal is Yet Another Tool. By trying to make Drupal fit in all and every
place and concept, we can only do Drupal harm.

If want Drupal to grow (not in userbase, but as in maturing) we must choose
our niche and focus.
This is what makes Joomla big. This is what makes wordpress popular, and that
is why typo3 users and devs are so fond of it.

I do not try to enforce some "choose your direction", nor am I saying "focus
or die". Drupal has a step to take in its growth.

I have spent a lot of time with Drupal (four years+) and for the first time in
ages do i hear / receive people whom are not impressed by it. People who
worked with it for a year and say "in some areas its better then Foo Bar, but
Drupal has flaws stupidities or ugly pieces" Just as much as any other system
does. Drupal is not an ideal developers platform, because Core has still got
quite some hardcoded things (and do not tell me "then *you* fix it"!). Too
much to make "any Site From It". Something we do tell the outside world.

In a nutshell: We should really be honoust on what Drupal is. And for that,
choose a clearer vision on what it is. Telling it is "Everything" is a lie.
Nothing is Everything (Your priest might disagree though ;)).

BÈr