[consulting] being a listed consultant

George D. DeMet demet at palantir.net
Fri Apr 6 17:18:44 UTC 2007

All of Roshan's points are really great.  We've never taken Paypal, but
I can vouch for wire transfers as a safe, secure, and speedy method of
payment.

The bottom line is that it comes down to judging each new client as they
come in, and if it looks like it might be a risky situation, adjusting
your terms accordingly.

For most of our clients, we ask for 1/3 payment upon acceptance of the
proposal, 1/3 payment at delivery of a fully-functional "beta" site, and
the final 1/3 is billed when the site is launched.  If it is a
particularly large job that will tie up our company's resources and
prevent us from taking other work during development, we will sometimes
ask to bill monthly during project development in order to keep our cash
flow steady.  In every case, client service, training, support, and
actual project development are separate line items in our proposal, and
we always include a clause that expansions in project scope or requests
for additional features during development will be subject to change orders.

Our experience is that the larger the organization you're working for,
the longer it takes to get paid.  Small businesses are very familiar
with the challenges posed when clients don't pay on time, and usually
respond to invoices very quickly (net15 or less).  Larger companies and
institutions are far less responsive, and it can take 45 days or more
for payment to trickle through multiple layers of bureaucracy.
Publicly-funded institutions are invariably the ones that longest to
pay.  I definitely recommending getting a purchase order from larger
clients whenever possible, as invoices issued against a PO get processed
much more quickly.

We have occasionally taken jobs from potentially "risky" clients, and
our strategy with them has usually been to ask for a larger payment up
front and/or adjust the payment terms so that work is billed more
frequently.  That way, if the client skips town, the amount of money
we're potentially out is minimized.  Project milestones can also be tied
to payment; e.g., project development does not start until we've
received the deposit payment, the site does not launch until we've
received payment for beta development, etc.  The more money a client has
paid, the more invested they are in seeing the project through to
completion.  In no case do we ever take a job where the client says,
"Oh, I don't have the cash on me now, but I'll make so much money when
this site launches that I'll pay you then."

As far as freelancers go, we always commit to pay them, even if the
client does not pay us.  We consider hiring freelancers part of our
project overhead, and if they've spent time working on one of our
projects, they should be compensated for that work.  This can be a tough
commitment to make sometime, but in our experience it's the best way of
attracting the best freelance talent.

--
George D. DeMet
Palantir.net