[consulting] preview of a home page

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Fri Jan 5 13:51:56 UTC 2007

On 1/4/07, Mariano Barcia <mariano.barcia at colaborativa.net> wrote:
> Isn´t there a way in Drupal to preview the home page, without actually
> publishing the nodes in the home page?

I originally replied directly because it seems off-topic for
consulting, but the answer is simple if you read the Drupal.org forums
on a regular basis:

"Test site.  Always begin with a test site."

Then you can test out exactly what the site will look like on a
private area prior to showing it to the world.

Consulting content: For a variety of sites that I've run or consulted
on one of the first things I do is make sure that I can quickly and
easily create a backup of the live copy and then load it into a local
environment and also make it easy to reverse the process and promote
changes into the live environment.  If this feels overly burdensome
you can justify it on a couple grounds: 1) it gets easier 2) it's
similar to the process you'll need to restore a backup in case
everything goes wrong so you should be good at it 3) it allows you to
test changes without worrying about users and reduces the temptation
to "cowboy code" on the live server.

Greg

--
Greg Knaddison