[consulting] Dedicated/Colocated Servers?

Boerland, Bert bert.boerland at getronics.com
Thu Jan 11 10:33:40 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: consulting-bounces at drupal.org

> I've always taken it as good practise that your hosting service should
> not be the same company as the one managing your domains.

There is no reason for this! In fact, it might help that one and the same hand does DNS as Web so changes can be coordinated by the insourcing party instead of the customer. If you mean that it is good practise to be multihomed web (BGP4) and have your DNSes and MTA's in different networks/ AS-es, yes. But good hosting companies do that. If your hosting company doesnt do this, you should consider switching hosting companies (or suffer) or do DNS (zoneedit.com) yourself and outsource you mail to hosted gamil for example.