[consulting] Dedicated/Colocated Servers?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jan 11 13:33:27 UTC 2007

Tom Friedhof wrote:
> Would you like to elaborate?

I've seen instances where a hosting service went totally AWOL -- dropped
off the face of the earth. By having the domain registration at another
location, they were able to get another hosting service, restore
backups, change the DNS, and be back up in very little total delay.

So this practise makes special sense when dealing with hosting services
that are really inexpensive and/or of unproven stability. Hosting
services never tell their customers that they're not paying their own
bills, untill it's too late.

Regardless of where hosted, almost all the domains I've made are done at
Tucows, which has been around forever.

- Evan