[consulting] Dedicated/Colocated Servers?

Jeremy Andrews lists at kerneltrap.org
Fri Jan 12 04:21:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:08:14 -0500
"Khalid B" <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> Speaking of zoneedit, I have been with them for many years,
> and they were reliable.
> I also used them to provide dynamic DNS for the test
> servers I use.
>
> However, last December, both the primary and secondary DNS
> for my domains were down.
> A friend who use them (but different name server) was not
> affected.
>
> Upon contacting them, they said they know and working on
> it. One of their response
> had the gall to say "please buy a third name server from
> us".
>
> I ended up switching to my ISPs DNS servers.

They had four servers go down from a DDoS attack.  I had the
same problem, KernelTrap went offline for nearly two days as
I too use ZoneEdit.  However I decided to stay with them, and
upgraded from 2 nameservers to 4 for my primary domain.
  http://kerneltrap.org/node/7494

I've used ZoneEdit for 5 or 6 years, and I'm still very happy
with them.  Whether you host your DNS with them or someone
else, it is very wise to have at least 3 name servers if
having your domain name always available on the Internet is
critical to your business.

Cheers,
 -Jeremy