[consulting] Dedicated/Colocated Servers?

Mark Shropshire mdshrops at shropnet.com
Mon Jan 15 16:50:06 UTC 2007

I agree. Also, keep in mind that the reason someone may want to have
the database on a different physical or vps server is because of
performance.. of course php and mysql on the same machine is arguably
better performance since sockets can be used and the network doesn't
have to come into the picture for every query. It really depends on
where the performance issue lies.

Infrastructure can be complicated in general. No one solution will
fit all. For example, clusters provide reliability, but if one
machine in a cluster gets a virus or is otherwise compromised, it is
the probably that every machine in the cluster will then be
compromised. There are times that a failover server using an app like
heartbeat may be better. Just depends. Either way, good reliable
backups are still needed in case a server has to be rebuilt and
restored. At work, I have disk to disk to tape for backup. That
provides our Drupal sites very reliable backup and I like having the
ability to restore from disk which is very fast.

I like Boris' comment on a reliable SAN w/VPS. That is exactly
benefit I have received with my vps host. They have a Raid 10 SAN.
There was an issue last year with the hardware node one of my VPSs
was running on. They were able to move my entire server to a new
server node. I had about a minute of downtime when they flipped the
switch to bring up the new node.

Thanks,
Mark