[consulting] OT: Google Sites launches

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Fri Feb 29 16:12:23 UTC 2008

Google Sites looks pretty cool. If they just added a diff/revision history
tool I think they could put wikispaces out of business. This might even horn
in on some of Basecamp's low-end market.

Dries talks about eliminating the developer

I think Dries is being ironic, or "tongue-in-cheek" (saying it as a joke)
when he says that. I think what Drupal is actually doing  regarding
developers is:

   1. making it more fun to be a developer
   2. welcoming in new and part-time developers to be a part of something
   exciting
   3. debunking the myth that programmers don't have social skills
   4. making it possible for web developers to be information architects
   and application developers rather than web page factory workers.

Is Google Sites steeling Drupal's thunder; is it a market threat? It might
take away some of the small intranet market and home/personal blog market.
It also may move the Drupal project as a whole to slowly abandon the
lower-end.

With Drupal's level of control and open community, open development, I think
Drupal will continue to boom. Google Sites could actually increase the
market for Drupal as more people get a taste of a CMS-like tool -- but want
more.

It will be interesting to see if Google's Chris Debona brings up this topic
in his keynote at DrupalCon.

Just my thoughts...

Shai