[consulting] copyright policies

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:13:23 UTC 2008

 Copyright law  includes moral right of the creator to have their name
attached to the work (but not the economic right to exploit it if this
has been given to someone else, such as the client). The right to have
your name in the code is called
'paternity' and it is a right granted by some extension of the Berne convention
If you are in Europe, you may be able to enforce this easier than in
the States, unless you have signed a waiver as part of your
contractual arrangement with the client

check your contract, if it does not mention that you assign moral
rights to the clients, then you are fine by the law (in most
jurisdictions)

hope this help
cheer
PDM

On Jan 24, 2008 5:26 PM, Robert Garrigós Castro <robert at garrigos.cat> wrote:

>  I'm having a bit of an issue with a new employer on the copyright of the
> code I will write for them and I wonder what copyright policies other
> freelance drupal developers have.
>
>  I tend to ask to keep authorship of the code and have my name into the code
> as the author, although I yield all other rights to the employer. Is this a
> normal procedure for anybody else? Are you having similar conflicts with the
> businesses hiring you as developers and their copyright policies?
>

> --
>

> Robert Garrigós
>  Pàgina professional / Professional web page
>  http://garrigos.cat
>
>  drupal punt cat: Grup d'Usuaris de Drupal en Català
>  http://drupal.cat
>
>  P  Si no és necessari, no imprimeixis aquest correu.

Paola Di Maio
School of IT
www.mfu.ac.th