[consulting] copyright policies

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 05:49:36 UTC 2008

Hi Ric,
I agree, but only in part.

I have designed 'functionalities' that were not there, they did not exist
that is because as a user, I spotted a requirement and asked a
developer to encode it
I ask the developers to a)not reuse it for at least one year. I am not
paying you so that you can go and sell my business intelligence to
others  2) do not sell it to my competitors for as long as I am i
business

if its an open source solution I am working with, I generally release
a portion of it for public use.

this is commonly done. every large company that uses open source will
not release
all the functionalities that are giving their business a competitive
market edge,  while also making some contributions to public code.

i think there should be a time cap to such restrictions however.

its very difficult to tell whether a developer is respecting the non
compete clause however

cheers