[consulting] copyright policies

Sean Burlington sean at burlington.me.uk
Fri Jan 25 08:25:58 UTC 2008

DragonWize wrote:

> You see this model in visual creative works all the time in website
> designs, photography, and even in art where you can by a print, the
> original, or the original and no others will be made. Each level is more
> as you go from open to exclusive.

this is a good point

I just had a similar discussion with a client who initially seemed to
think that it was morally wrong for me to want to retain rights to use
the code I had written.

The point that seemed to help turn things around was an analogy with
photography practices - that in the end this is all just haggling over
price.

It seems to me that a good way to approach this might be to make clear
in a quote that the price relates to my contract (which I believe to be
balanced) - if they want me to sign a different contract which is less
favorable to me it will attract a different price.

I'm new to contracting - but I'm finding negotiations easier than with
normal employment contracts :-)

--

Sean Burlington
www.practicalweb.co.uk