[consulting] Reports in Drupal

Donald A. Lobo lobo at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 07:03:54 UTC 2008

at civicrm, we've chosen to use BIRT (http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/) which is an open source (but with origins and support from a commercial company (actuate)) report writer using java/tomcat. The front end to build reports is quite nice (assuming u have a machine powerful enough to run java on a desktop, eclipse is a bit of a resource hog)

We've been fairly happy with it, though it is only applicable to large consulting companies and orgs who have the resources and machines to do a java/tomcat deployment. we did not find any reasonable php report writer

The integration is at the database level (i.e. no integration). but since its open source and with the php-java bridge there is some potential to do stuff if needed

lobo