[consulting] Salaries

Chuck D'Antonio chuck at acquia.com
Tue Sep 16 20:32:17 UTC 2008

Agreed on the 70% -- sounds outstanding for a contractor who's
handling on their business development opportunities in addition to
technical work.  Within a consulting firm I've always planned on
70-80% utilization for a "heads down" type role and 50%-60% for a role
that is involved in building the business.

In my previous position, I interview a lot of people who were moving
from independent contracting.  One thing that was similar about them
was that they were typically on the older side of the candidate pool
(primarily over 40).  I found that benefits (retirement and health
insurance, primarily) were at the top of the list for reasons to join
a company.

One way to think about it is the "fully loaded" cost of an employee --
I typically use a 40% uplift to budget for an employee.  If you're
pulling in $115K a year as a contractor, then to cover these expense
at the same level a company does you'd really be paying yourself less
than $85K.

Chuck