[consulting] Client Hosting...

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Fri Apr 3 02:18:18 UTC 2009

I quit with Mosso in July after about 4 months. Maybe they are ready for
prime time now. Back then they weren't. Latency was a huge factor in my
sites. The control panels were horribly buggy (their "legacy" one and their
beta which was a totally rewritten one... both way buggy.)

It become clear to me after a while that what was holding this "cloud"
together was a LOT of code that they were writing themselves. It made me
really appreciate a LAMP stack running the exact same code as a gazillion
other hosts with Cpanel also running on a gazillion other boxes.

After going from shared to VPS to "cloud" I finally broke down and got a
dedicated box from Inmotionhosting.com. I'm not running any sites that are
likely to get slashdotted or are particularlly high volume... so the
advantage of the cloud wasn't really that important. It's just great to have
shell access again, I can't believe I lived without it. The box is fully
supported (and so not cheap), but it's been incredably reliable and easy.
And I sleep good at night knowing that any unused CPU, RAM, disk space
etc... is just sitting there, unused. They run SuPHP which takes just a
little bit of learning some minor differences.

That's my experience.

I host most of my clients' sites and charge them $300/year for a very basic
site to $900/year with CiviCRM and/or is much more complex. That includes
security upgrades for modules and core. I'm not running a multisite set-up.
Each site has its own Cpanel account.

I don't want to troubleshoot a shared hosting situation for my clients. My
clients are small and want one stop shopping. By hosting myself in a really
stable environment I reduce a lot of variables and make the hosting part
bearable. I explain this to my clients and they get it, even though they are
small. The ones who push me on $100/year hosting, I don't want them as
clients.

Shai