[consulting] Does anyone offer Drupal performance tuning services?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Apr 27 23:20:17 UTC 2009

Performance optimization and tuning of a Drupal site is very site specific.
"Drupal" can be configured in inifinite ways, and while this is one of the
most appealing aspects we use it for, it causes the end result that no two
Drupal sites are alike.

Because of that, we turn down requests such as "please install boost for us"
or "configure memcache for the site", as well as "can you do it in 4 hours"?
The reason is that all of these either underestimate the effort, or have an
apriori result in mind. We can't tell what the issue(s) are before hand,
much less guarantee an outcome.

It sounds to us like going to a doctor asking for him to prescribe a
specific medicine, or perform a specific surgery. If the doctor does what
you say, I don't want to go anywhere near that doctor. If the doctor asks
for symptoms, history, recommends some lab tests or X-Rays, THEN recommends
a medicine, surgery, explains the pros and cons, then he did a good job.
Chances are you well, or at least by monitoring the progress he can come up
with alternate diagnosis. Anything else is suspect. Even a stopped clock
would tell the correct time twice a day, so beware.

This is why we always start with a performance assessment for the client.
This includes several steps and ends up with a report with recommendations.
We can't quote for the outcome because it can vary from "upgrade this
module" to "your server is not adequate" and everything in between.

And yes, badly written modules can be a contributing factor. But from the
many sites we've helped, we did not see a consistent pattern emerge as to
"the one main reason". Rather, we ahve seen several of those (too many
modules, heavy queries by some modules, contacting other sites over the
network, underpowered servers, and many other reasons). Too many to list
here, that is why we blog them!

A clarification on my previous post on fixed fee. For some high traffic
clients, we charge a flat monthly fee to make sure that their site is always
tuned and performant. This is normally preceded by installing the software
on their servers from scratch, put monitoring and reporting tools, backup
and other stuff, as well as tuning it to guarantee maximum performance. This
is different from a one off fixed fee for a site we have never seen before.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.