[consulting] General consultant's vent

Ayen Designs info at ayendesigns.com
Thu Aug 6 16:02:17 UTC 2009

In this case, the cost of developing the 'estimate' that the customer
wanted (30 minutes) would have been greatly exceeded by the cost of
developing the estimate. Of course, the time spent developing the
know-how to create the estimate also served to discredit any claim she
had about it being a 30 minute effort. Also, one has to measure whether
the knowledge is useful, and worth an investment to some degree. In this
case, her combined requirements (and the problem caused, thus needing
the fix) is fairly unique, so the knowledge has little chance of being
used again in its entirety, but perhaps some. Then it becomes a decision
to either eat part of the cost, or turn away the work as unprofitable,
and then you have to weigh short-term profit and long-term profit with
the client, but then you have to weigh whether it then becomes a
high-water mark with the client (which impacts long-term profit). In
this case, this particular client has sent 2,100+ (and counting) e-mails
to me since Jan 2008, so I might just be breaking even if I consider the
time to read and respond to them.

One further complication: there's no guarantee that the time spent would
fix the problem, and I indicated that. I pointed out that a joy of open
source is that it's free, and that a pitfall of open source is that it's
free, meaning that if a module doesn't work as it should, or a solution
doesn't work as indicated (or if the 30-minutes in the article she read
is really 3 hours)...there's no one to phone and complain to.