[consulting] General consultant's vent

Dane Ensign dane at deepsnow.us
Thu Aug 6 17:10:38 UTC 2009

Interesting discussion. Id like to share some input.  for a project
that is <1000 bucks, suck it up and do it free. 1000 - 5000. Add in a
little bit of time, be fair, be competitive, but dont suck up the cost
or you are cheating yourself and your business, and thats bad. You can
charge x/2 to the client and build the difference in, because you
should be further developing your site design after you get started
anyway. for a project that is >5000 bucks, you really really need to
charge for requirements gathering/ design document creation. Again, be
fair, be competitive, use good judgement about where to distribute the
cost of it. More often than not, its a little bit up front and the
rest inside the Inception phase of the project.

Frankly, any client that wants a 5k+ site and plays hardball that y ou
are supposed to give it all up for free to develop their site design
document, is worrisome and questionable, unless you have pre-qualified
them. Just this summer we had a potential client on the phone pounding
us to get the estimate and 'you better make it pro!'  the same day.
The site would have cost 5k-7k competitively. We communicated the
design process, and delivered the estimate for the design document
creation on time. In that, we charge 1/2 of the creation cost up
front, and the rest to be billed inside the project. This potential
client told us 'I have the credit cared ready to charge today!' We
delivered this estimate; he vanished. We were going to charge him 1000
bucks for the design document creation.

Turns out this 'client' pimped his project around town and ended up
hosing 2 people out a ton of design time. We were frustrated but
relieved that we didnt give up the goods. The bottom line is that
honest clients with integrity dont expect you to cheat your business
model and good business practices. If they do, you have a problem
already, and must consider who it is your targeting for work in the
first place.

We are smart people using sophistcated systems to varying extents. If
we cheat ourselves, why shouldnt the client cheat us too?