[consulting] General consultant's vent

Kevin Stanek kevins at qfeinc.com
Thu Aug 6 21:01:26 UTC 2009

Probably cuz thats just a bottomless, endless can of worms.  Look at your
typical certification exams.  Take M$ or Cisco for example.  In order to be
"certified", you need to know  from rote memory silly, meaningless  details
(that could easily be referenced/Googled, BTW) about stuff like Token Ring
networks, that nobody in their right mind would ever use unless forced to at
gunpoint.  What does that really tell you?  I know from past experience many
people that were top of their class in say, physics or engineering at some
very highly considered colleges/unis.  Ask them to devise a practical
solution for a real client, and even though they scored at or close to 100%
on certification exams because they are great at absorbing/regurgitating
usless info, they don't know where to start or how to start on a real
project.  Precisely cuz its a real world example, not something out of a
textbook or exam prep.  They fear even talking to a real customer.  Makes
their certs pretty much pointless.  Yet those silly HR folks continue to eat
this stuff for breakfast....My guess is that any baseline cert would be
similar.  Got references?  Done real work in the past that you can explain?
Far superior than a cert.