[consulting] Drupal Certification (was: General consultant's vent)

Tom Geller tom at tomgeller.com
Fri Aug 7 05:22:40 UTC 2009

This subject comes up frequently. I know that Acquia was considering
preparation of a certification system ("Yellow Jersey"), but it's
always been low among their priorities.

Something on this subject became the most-commented post on my blog:

   http://tomgeller.com/content/market-ready-drupal-certification

Then in a post shortly after that, I suggested that Drupal Association
would be the appropriate body to run a certification program:

   http://tomgeller.com/content/why-support-drupal-association

I wrote, "[DA could] fulfill functions best served by a non-profit
authority. While I find commercial interest in Drupal exciting and
encouraging, some functions -- such as certification and trademark
protection -- are best served by a neutral party with interests beyond
the purely financial. Drupal Association is that authority."

DA never expressed an interest in that -- which is fine, and their
right. I'm among those who questions the value of such things... but
still think it would be great to try. Alas, nobody's taking the lead.
Uncertainly over the Drupal trademark IMHO also discourages anyone
from claiming that leadership role.

---
           Tom Geller  *  Oberlin, Ohio  *  415-317-1805
              Writer/Editor * http://www.tomgeller.com
     articles, marketing, training materials, user guides, books