[consulting] Drupal Certification

Sam Cohen sam at samcohen.com
Fri Aug 7 15:59:04 UTC 2009

I think the problem here is with language.

Certification only means that you have a certificate that say you completed
something.  In that sense it's as good as what you completed and if someone
goes to the effort of building a course or test that demonstrates knowledge,
I don't see what harm there is in them marketing that certificate and people
using it to demonstrate they have the skills it takes to complete it.

The problem is that "Certification" has an official ring to it -- like it's
declared by the government, or the DA or by God -- and that's where it
starts to get sticky.

I developed an online course for a nonprofit client (using Drupal of Course)
and we stayed away from the word "certification" but did offer a
"certificate of completion" at the end.  Same thing, but the language
matters.

Sam